1. Upon waking, the amazing way the morning light in the corners of my bedroom casts itself in different shades of beige and gold and begs to be painted.
2. How quiet my house is in contrast to the school mornings when my kids are with me.
3. On my walk to get my morning coffee, how the sky and clouds look like they were painted in watercolors.
4. The sparse berries left on the trees by the train station signal that we are definitely in the middle of winter, even though the few berries that are left are bright pink.
5. I don’t notice the train noise anymore.
6. I wanted to pick up a penny I spotted in a crosswalk, but there was a big truck coming and even though he had the stop sign, I didn’t think tempting fate for a penny was worth it.
7. I had a 3-minute internal debate while in line about what coffee I should order this morning. The Vanilla Spice sounds really good but I need to lose the five pounds I gained over the holidays (thanks, Mom!). I should probably get a tall nonfat latté but I feel like kicking off my year with a little something extra. What to get, what to get…
8. I am excited for 2013. I am looking forward to the adventures that await me this year. I know they will make me stronger, just as last year’s did.
I love that this morning I felt the urge to write and I have the time to do so.
I ended up ordering a grandé peppermint latté. And I am savoring it.